• 派翠克·亨利：不自由，毋宁死！ （Give me liberty or death）
• 斯坦福大学校训：「自由之风永远吹拂」（Die Luft der Freiheit weht）
一、什么是真理？ （约8:32 你们必晓得真理，真理必叫你们得以自由。）
• 适合上列永恒性和普遍性这一个原则的只有耶稣基督。因为祂是「昔在、今在、以后永在的全能者」。 （启示录4:8），是「昨日、今日、直到永远是一样的」（希伯来书13:8）。
二、谁是信耶稣的人？ （约8:31 耶稣对信他的犹太人说……）
三、如何得真正的自由？ （约8:36 所以天父的儿子若叫你们自由，你们就真自由了。）
1. 为真门徒必得自由 True disciples will be set free
2. 为罪奴仆没有自由 A slave to sin has no freedom
3. 神子耶稣就是真理 Jesus, the Son of God, is the truth
4. 耶稣叫罪人得自由 Jesus sets all sinners free
Cover Scripture: John 8: 31 To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. 32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”
Scripture: John 8:31-38
31 To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. 32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” 33 They answered him, “We are Abraham’s descendants and have never been slaves of anyone. How can you say that we shall be set free?”34 Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, everyone who sins is a slave to sin. 35 Now a slave has no permanent place in the family, but a son belongs to it forever. 36 So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed. 37 I know that you are Abraham’s descendants. Yet you are looking for a way to kill me, because you have no room for my word. 38 I am telling you what I have seen in the Father’s presence, and you are doing what you have heard from your father.[a]”
· Patrick Henry: Give me liberty or death!
· Petofi: Life is precious, but love is more expensive. If it is free, both can be thrown away.
· Harvard University Motto: "Truth" (Veritas)
· Stanford University Motto: "The wind of freedom blows forever. " (Die Luft der Freiheit weht)
· School motto of Yenching University: "Because of the truth, be free, and serve."
· These famous quotes and school mottos show us the world's pursuit of truth and freedom. It is this kind of pursuit that brings human progress and at the same time provides a breeding ground for individualism and relativism in the world today. Because the world's exploration of truth and freedom has deviated from the original direction, not in the creation-fall-salvation-restoration structure revealed in the Bible, not in the biblical teaching centered on God, but for the purpose of the self-satisfaction of humanity. Therefore, we see that in today's world, there is no distinction between men and women, black and white are reversed, and the god who refuses to create heaven and earth, does not recognize the absolute truth, and pursues personal freedom without a bottom line with the sinful nature of man. Lord, have mercy on this unbelieving generation. May the true light of Jesus Christ illuminate the world and bring true freedom in the truth of the Lord Christ.
1. What is truth? (John 8:32 32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.)
· What is the truth? Jesus clearly said: "I am the truth." John the Baptist also testified for him: " 14 The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth." (John 1:14)
· Truth is absolute, never changes, it is the perfect, the most beautiful, it is suitable for each era, each nation, and each region, without time and space constraints.
· Only Jesus Christ fits the principle of eternity and universality listed above. Because He is "the Almighty who was, and is, and is to come." (Revelation 4:8), is "the same yesterday and today and forever." (Hebrews 13:8).
· Plato said: "The truth comes from heaven. Man can only find him, but cannot create him."
2. Who is a believer in Jesus? (John 8:31 31 To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. )
· Judging from the verses in the eighth chapter of John’s Gospel, the Jews who believed in Jesus only believed what Jesus said, that is, they received the teachings of Jesus in a limited way, and somewhat began to believe in his identity as the Messiah. But this is not the same as what we say more often, "believe in Jesus for eternal life". For example, sometimes when we share the gospel, the other party agrees with and accepts certain content, but continues to share, they cannot agree with and accept some other content. Jesus was targeting such people.
3. How to get true freedom? (John 8:36 36 So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed. )
1. The enslaved heart
2. What can't make the mind free
3. What can make people feel free
Four aspects Jesus wanted his disciples to really understand.
1. True disciples will be set free
2. A slave to sin has no freedom
3. Jesus, the Son of God, is the truth
4. Jesus sets all sinners free
Because all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, people are trapped in sin and cannot be freely released. Jesus Christ, the Son of God, is the truth, and there is total freedom in Him. This is freedom from the domination of sin. The children of God in Christ enjoy the freedom not to be bound by sin. This is not the kind of loose freedom that allows us to do our own way and do whatever we want without restraint and scruples, but because we are free from Satan and sin by following the truth. Because we believe in God's final judgment on sin and unrighteousness, the people of heaven in Christ enjoy the freedom and grace of sin to be forgiven.